Friday 22 July 2011

To Have and Have Not, To watch or watch not??

It's been quite a while since my last post, and I admit it. I miss writing a lot. I'd promised myself that I wouldn't stop, but I just wasn't in the mood for it. I didn't stop watching movies, of course. But that's not the point.

Today's movie made me feel quite mixed up, I didn't know whether to love or hate it. I still really don't know. Honestly.

The movie, naturally is To Have and Have not, starring Hollywood's badest badass ever Humphrey Bogart, and the ever radiant, extremely talented Lauren Bacall. Along with the legendary Walter Brennan. 

The story, in my humble opinion is really weak, the flirting scenes and dialogue were very cheap and you could feel the effects of censorship in this era and how it forced what could've been a very clever scene between Bogart and Bacall and reduced it to near gibberish. The events are pretty much predictible and you could know how the film will go if you watch the first 3 minutes and had an IQ of 15. But that's not all. Now for the good part.


You see, even though the writing had severe shortcomings, and the screenplay seemed to be written by a toddler with Down's syndrome, the acting was simply mind blowing. Bogart played the role of Harry "Steve" Morgan exceptionally well, a badass as a badass should be in every way, very convincing and very natural. 
Bacall was no different, even though her role was written badly she managed to glow and will be forever remembered for that iconic scene when she looks back at bogart, giving him an incredibly sexy smile and says: " You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow."

Here, you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8 


But aside from all that, my favorite character in the movie was by far was Eddie, the drunk, or "rummy" as they called him, played by Walter Brennan, winner of 3 Academy Awards for best supporting actor in the period of 6 years. A very smooth performance and to me he was the character I reacted to the most. I actually waited for the scenes he was in.


So, you see. That's why I'm so baffled by that movie. The writing's pretty bad, and the story is very predictible. But giving it to these giants is what made it an unforgettable part of movie history that will probably live on for many generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment